Sunday, July 17, 2011

Easy as (peach) pie


Dear Krisitn,

Ah, the lazy, hazy days of summer. I wish.

I can usually gauge my stress levels by the amount of chocolate consumed. One or two Hershey's miniatures a day means life is wonderful, the birds are singing, and I'm feeling carefree. Five or six in a day means I'm a little busy but still sane, the birds have begun to squawk, and while life is not carefree, at least I can still take time to smell the proverbial roses.

Let's just say that I bought a four pound bag of miniatures last week and half of them are gone. Life has gone from carefree to chaotic, the birds are screeching, and I can't even find those darn proverbial roses let alone smell them.

So, I need a break from chocolate. Still craving something sweet, I decided to grab some peaches from the produce section and whip up a peachy summer dessert. This pie is super simple and quick, getting you in and out of a hot summer kitchen in no time. And, unfortunately, that is exactly what I have this week - no time!

So until next week, here's a little something to enjoy.







Peachy Custard Pie

1 9" pie shell
3 T. flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 1/2 lb. peaches (about 5 or 6), peeled and sliced
1 T. lemon juice
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 egg
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. flour

Preheat oven to 425F.
Mix 3 T. flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Spread over bottom of pie shell.
Toss peaches with lemon juice.
Arrange peaches on top of flour/brown sugar mixture.
Whisk evaporated milk and egg together. Pour this mixture over peaches.
Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Sprinkle this mixture over peaches.
Bake at 425F. for 30 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted 1/2 way between edge and center of pie comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate.

Cook's tip: To easily peel peaches, cover them with boiling water for about a minute. Drain. Peels will now slip off easily. (This tip only works if you have ripe peaches.)

No comments:

join the conversation