Tuesday, November 1, 2011

da motha-land

Dear Mom,

I have a little confession to make (brace yourself because I think you will be disappointed in me): I like Jersey Shore.  If you're unfamiliar with the show, its this really terrible reality t.v. show on MTV about eight Jersey-Shore-loving-Guidos (I'm not trying to be derogatory, they call themselves that).  Sadly, I'm not the only one addicted to the show, my husband follows it as well, in fact I kind of blame him for getting me hooked.  The first season they were given a house to live in on Jersey Shore, a very low-responsibility job, and lots of cash to spend on going out to bars, alcoholic beverages, and of course the three cornerstones of any Guido's life: GTL (gym, tanning and laundry).  In following seasons, they were given a change of scenery.  They were sent to live in Miami Beach, then back to the Shore, and this season they were in Florence, Italy ("da motha-land").

Florence, Italy....  I never thought I would be jealous of the Vinny, Pauly, Ronnie, Snookie, Jenni, Sammy, Deena and The Situation, but now I am.  While I have no desire to run around the Jersey Shore in a drunken haze for six weeks, I would gladly make the sacrifice if MTV would send me to Italy for free...  I've been dying to go for years now, I don't know why I'm so in love with the country, I'm not Italian, but it just looks so beautiful... And the food!  At least I married a guy who is half Italian, so when we are ready some day our babies will be one-quarter Guido.  But for now, since I'm not Italian, at least I can try to cook some yummy Italian-American food like my Italian Flag Soup. 



Italian Flag Soup

1/2 lb. uncased Italian sausage (I used 1/4 lb. mild and 1/4 lb. hot)
1 small onion, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
4-5 red gypsy peppers, chopped (or 2 red bell peppers)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine (such as pinot grigio)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bunch spiagrello, coarsely chopped (or kale or spinach)
1 16 oz. can white beans, drained
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
parmesan cheese (for garnishing)

Heat about 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Brown sausage, crumbling and stirring as you go, remove from pan and set aside.  If your sausage does not leave behind too much oil, heat some additional olive oil in the pan, add onion, carrots, peppers, garlic and a good pinch of salt.  Cook over medium heat until beginning to soften (about 10 minutes).  Add white wine, scrape browned bits off of the bottom of the pan.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Add chicken broth, bring to boil and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until carrots are cooked through.  Add sausage and spiagrello to soup, cook until spiagrello is wilted and tender.  Add white beans and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until beans are heated through.

Check for salt, and serve with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

join the conversation