Saturday, May 26, 2012

summer

Dear Mom,

Well summer is officially here!  The hubs and I decided to kick it off right this year by having a good 'ol fashion bbq rib show-down.  The challenge is simple: prepare your best bbq rib recipe and two sides and see who can make the best.  Of course, the judges are a little biased considering its yours-truly and the hubs, but we have a great marriage and we're very honest with eachother so there will be no smack-talking I'm sure...  (The sarcasm did not come across in that statement, but I assure you its there.)

So that we didn't fight over the kitchen, which is bound to happen when we're both cooking in our small apartment, and so that we didn't stuff ourselves silly with too much food, we decided to each take a weekend.  I took last weekend and John is going to "wow" me tomorrow with his bbq "prowess."  My humble submission was simple, straight-forward and effective, I utilized the tried-and-true crock pot.  Yes, that's right folks: the crock pot.  I'm sure somewhere in Kansas City or North Carolia or Texas people are weeping.  You know what else is just plain un-Amercian?   I used a pre-packaged bbq rub and sauce!  Oh, no!  Pray for my soul, I'm going to you-know-where!  (Although, it does so happen to be from a fantastic place in New York, that is pretty well known for its bbq: Dinosaur BBQ.)  As I explained to my husband, the reason I do these terrible things to my ribs, is because with out a smoker (which I do not own) its a great, reliable way to make fall-off the bone tender ribs.  I actually will be sharing another recipe with you, one of the sides, but considering I'm spending all this time talking about the ribs I should share with everyone how I make them. 

Its quite simple: preheat your grill to medium.  Soak approximately 2 cups of wood chips in water, beer or apple cider (mesquite, hickory or applewood are all good).  Drain the wood chips.  Tear off 3 sheets of aluminum foil, place a pile of the wood chips in the middle of each sheet and then gather the edges of the foil so you make little pouches, but leave the tops open.  Put the foil packs on the grill and then put your favorite rub on the ribs.  Brown the ribs in the grill, with the lid closed, and the foil packs in there too.  Allowing the grill to get a little smokey.  Remove ribs to the crock pot, cover in your favorite sauce and cook 8 hours until tender.  Done, perfect, tender, finger-lickin' good ribs, with only 20 minutes of prep. 

Minimal prep time allows us to take our time with the sides.  I was recently watching an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain, and he went to Kansas City for bbq.  He unequivocably stated that when in Kansas City one should skip the sides and only eat the meat.  Well, you can do what ever you want, Anthony, at my house the sides are an integral and valuable component of the bbq dinner.  Now, I have not been to Kansas City and I'm sure they make bbq that would blow my mind, but how is one expected to get through copious amounts of charred meat with out some kind of veggie, acid or starch to break-up or soak-up all of the goodness? Lots of beer!  No, that's the cheater's way out, I think some good sides are really the only way to truly enjoy good bbq.  For my submission to the competition I made corn casserole and Thai cucumber salad.  I think that to achieve the state of nirvana that bbq can induce, one needs a starchy side to soak up the grease and a vinegary side to cut the grease, this is the one true path to enlightenment.  My Thai cuke salad is easy, just sliced cukes (predrained with some salt), sliced red onion, rice wine vinegar, a little canola oil, low-sodium soy sauce, and chopped cilantro. 

The other side?  Corn casserole.  You know this one, Mom, its out of the first cook book you ever gave me.  Fannie Flagg's Original Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, a collection of recipes from one of our favorite movies Fried Green Tomatoes.  This is the kind of side that would do Paula Deen proud.  Corn, which is sweet and wonderful on its own, is mixed up with a box of corn bread mix, a can of creamed corn, and a whole stick of booooder (can you hear her now?).  I add some chopped basil to the mix.  This does a couple great things: a) basil and corn are great together it adds a herbacious, fresh note to an other wise sinfully sweet and rich side dish and b) the bright green color dotted in the bright yellow cake is attractive c) that green color is to Paula Deen what garlic is to vampires, it keeps her away. 

Happy Summer!



corn casserole

1 17-ounce can cream style corn
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
1 cup light sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 8-1/2 ounce box corn muffin mix
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine first 5 ingredients, add muffin mix and basil and mix to combine.  Spray a 12"x8"x2" baking dish with cooking spray, and pour in batter.  Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

join the conversation