Monday, January 28, 2013

dinner for one

Dear Mom,

Well, this is one of the few times that my nagging has paid off!  I'm a quite accomplished nagger, just ask my husband.  I have learned though, in the short time that we've been married, that nagging is really not an effective tactic for getting things accomplished, especially around the house.  I've tried to dial back the nagging and I find I'm a happier person.  Nothing is worse than asking someone to do something, repeatedly, only to have your requests ignored.  I think the male brain is actually hardwired to shut off his ears after listening to the female voice ask him to do something five times.  I can only assume that the number of times may decrease over the life of the marriage. 

I've also found that its easier not to nag someone when they are not around, and unfortunately John hasn't been around to nag lately.  He has started traveling for work again, we had a nice little holiday break where he was home, but duty calls and he's on the road again.  Usually when he's away I keep my dinners pretty simple and I try for healthy.  Although, I do hate to let anything in the fridge go bad.  Especially bacon.  So the other night I decided to use up the bacon and make a quick spaghetti carbonara for myself.  This recipe is super simple and relatively quick.  I made this for "one," but I'm a pretty big eater.  This would probably be great for two, if you did salad and bread with it.  If you just want to cut straight to the chase, then double the recipe and chow down!



spaghetti carbonara

whole wheat thin spaghetti (see my note about quantity below)
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 strips bacon (preferably thick-cut, applewood smoked, but any will do)
1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped fine
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup white wine (I like pinot grigio)
two eggs, beaten well
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Prepare the spaghetti according to package directions, while spaghetti is boiling make the sauce.

In a large skillet, crisp the bacon.  Remove from pan and pat with paper towels and chop into bite-sized pieces.  Dump out most of the bacon fat, reserving about a tablespoon in the pan.  Return pan to medium high heat, add the EVOO, onion, and garlic.  Saute until browned.  Add the white wine, scraping up all the browned bits, and bring to a simmer.

Microwave the frozen peas, with a little water, until partially cooked (a minute or two on high should do it).

When the pasta is done, using tongs, place pasta directly into skillet with onion/garlic mixture.  Toss to combine.  Return pan to medium to medium low heat.  Slowly pour the beaten eggs, in a thin stream, into the pasta mixture tossing with tongs the entire time.  (You may not need all of the eggs, just enough to get a creamy, saucey consistency.) 

Finish by tossing in the peas, bacon and parmesan cheese.

cosmo's notes: I have absolutely no idea how to measure dry pasta.  When I made this as a single serving for myself I eyeballed maybe about a stack of pasta about an inch in diameter.  Hopefully, you've made pasta enough that you know how much you need for one to two servings.

No comments:

join the conversation