Monday, April 28, 2014

change

Dear Mom,

I have made those delightful little buns of pleasure before...  Hmmm... That does not sound like something one typically admits in a food blog.  Speaking of delightful buns, did you hear that George Clooney is officially off the market?  It is true, the perpetual bachelor and man of our dreams is engaged.  Oh well, times are a changin'.  I've made quite the significant change in my life as well: the hubs and I moved to a new city! Tarrytown, NY specifically, about 40 minutes north of NYC by train.  I'm quite excited, the hubs got a promotion (so proud of him) and they wanted him back at headquarters so I decided to leave my job and join him (like I really had a choice).

So far, I'm in love with this little town!  It has an adorable little Main Street, USA type "downtown" anchored by a well-reviewed performing arts center.  There are a lot of restaurants, bars and coffee shops for us to check out, and we're surrounded by some really superb parks with lots of trails for us (including little Lola) to explore.  The best part is it is all within walking distance, including the train to the city if we ever get bored of this town.  Our new apartment has a FIVE-BURNER range, which I'm super excited about.  I've only set off the smoke detector twice...  Plus we have outdoor space for grilling and veggie growing.

Well, all that chit-chat about my new life has made me hungry!  For my first returning NY resident recipe I'm presenting you with a simple Penne Vodka.  With all the running around the hubs and I have been doing unpacking and prepping the place I needed something simple and satisfying.



penne vodka

8 slices pancetta, thinly deli sliced and chopped
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup yellow or sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup vodka
1 jar marinara sauce (any pasta sauce you like, preferably not too chunky)
crushed red pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream.
12 oz. dried penne
salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat, add about 2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil and pancetta.  Cook over heat until crispy, remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.  In the same pan, add extra olive oil if needed and onion and garlic.  Cook over medium-high heat until slightly browned.  Lower the heat and add vodka, scraping up any browned bits.  Bring mixture to a simmer and allow the vodka to reduce by half.  Add the jarred marinara and stir in, warm sauce and add crushed red pepper to taste, lower heat to medium-low.

When the pasta is done, remove directly from water to sauce mixture, stir and continue to heat over medium-low heat.  Using a sieve or strainer, submerge the frozen peas in the boiling pasta water for 5 minutes or until defrosted and slightly done (you don't want mushy peas).  Add to sauce and pasta mixture.  Stir in cream, season to taste.  Serve with pancetta sprinkled on top.

No comments:

join the conversation