Saturday, October 4, 2014

a break from burgers


Dear Kristin,

Yes, I'm also guilty of just kicking back and taking it easy over the summer. Especially now since your dad has retired & does most of the cooking during the week. (Yes, I did marry the world's most wonderful guy!). We have been doing a lot of grilling this summer - especially after we discovered the sausages at Skip's Meat Market which is only a short drive from us. Their chicken taco sausage is my fave.

After a summer of all-American hamburgers & sausages I thought I'd venture out & try something a little different. I was looking for the chicken dish served in many Chinese restaurants that comes in a brown salty sweet sauce & discovered that what I was probably looking for was called Bourbon Chicken. Evidently, it is a Cajun inspired Chinese dish that originated in New Orleans & is named after the famous Bourbon Street. So, don't be fooled - there is no bourbon to be found in this recipe. (Sorry if I disappointed you!)

Anyways, this is a quick dish to put together & your dad & I both love it served with some fried rice & a couple of spring rolls on the side. I based this recipe on one I found at food.com, but as always, I couldn't leave it alone & had to make some changes.



bourbon chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, depending on your tolerance
1/2 c. apple juice
2/3 c. light brown sugar
4 Tblsp. ketchup
2 Tblsp. cider vinegar
2/3 c. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tblsp. corn starch mixed with 1-2 Tblsp. water to make a slurry

Brown chicken pieces in hot oil in a large skillet. Remove chicken to a warm plate & keep it warm while you prepare the sauce.

Add all remaining ingredients except the cornstarch slurry to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring until everything is dissolved. Add the chicken back to the pan and bring mixture back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken tests done. Bring mixture back to boil & slowly add the slurry. Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened.

Told you it was easy!!

No comments:

join the conversation