Sunday, January 24, 2016

for days when thinking is just too hard

Dear Kristin,

Life has become much too complex. If you want to watch television in our house, you are required to use three different remotes. One is for sound, one is for picture, and the third - well I'm sure it's there so that I unknowingly take a selfie, capturing that look of utter confusion on my face and saving it for all posterity. The laundry is out to get me also. My washer has at least 17 different settings; normal, heavy duty, hand-wash and super stinky to name just a few. How many of these settings do I use? Two. Oh, and we just got a new treadmill. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it off of the "Mount Kilimanjaro" incline level. Yes, technology is out to get me.

Every once in a while I have to step back to simpler times. Heck, sometimes I even give up my Kindle and read an actual physical book! There are days when having the option to change font size on an e-book is just much too much for me to handle.

Admitting that it is probably not a good idea to take on any particularly daunting culinary challenges on these techno-meltdown days, I've come up with a really simple slow-cooker solution to technology overload. I won't pretend that it's good for you. It's not. However, this super easy slow cooker recipe allows me to serve something that is comforting and tasty even when operating a measuring cup is above my capabilities. Oh - and it involves bacon - nothing can go wrong when bacon is involved!




Creamy chicken with peas and bacon

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
4 Tblsp. butter, melted
salt and pepper
1 packet dry ranch salad dressing mix
6 oz. cream cheese, cut into small pieces
2 c. frozen peas
6 slices bacon, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour melted butter over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle contents of salad dressing mix over the chicken. Pour cream of chicken soup over the top. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Remove chicken from slow cooker and raise temperature to high. Add cream cheese to slow cooker and stir occasionally until all cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Add frozen peas. Continue cooking on high until thoroughly heated. Return chicken to the slow cooker and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes on high. *

Remove chicken from slow cooker and top with a generous amount of sauce and cooked bacon pieces.

*At this point you could also shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker and heat through. The chicken goodness could then be poured over biscuits for a really simple chicken & biscuits type of meal.

No comments:

join the conversation