Sunday, July 22, 2012

summer harvests

Dear Kristin,

Summer is here, and its time to hit the local farmer's market & see what follows you home. Today? Squash and yes, everyone's favorite - zucchini - otherwise known as the octamom of the garden. I was happy to see these little gems, because I had just the recipe for them in my "must try this" list. Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as smoothly as they could have.

Once more, my attempt at pastry/pie crust ended in the trash, all crumbs and blobs. I tried - really, I did. The good news is, I had a trusty Pillsbury Pie Crust ready to do battle for me when my fancified friends failed me. And, boy, was I glad I didn't just throw down my apron in defeat and toss the entire dish into the garbage!

What dish, you ask? Well, it was supposed to be a Summer Squash and Ricotta Galette that I found in Cooking Light Magazine. I don't know where I went wrong with the crust - I probably didn't let it chill long enough, or didn't have enough liquid - but all I got was crumbs that avoided sticking together like a Kardashian marriage. So, I just pulled out my frozen pie dough & forged ahead.

I also changed up the filling quite a bit, hoping for a more Mediterranean twist,  so I added dill & feta, omitting the garlic and thyme that the original recipe called for.

The result is a light, summery side dish that we enjoyed with a nice rib-eye hot off the grill.

Summer at its best!





summer squash & three cheese galette

1 9" Pillsbury pie crust - let sit outside of the refrigerator for about 10 minutes before using(from the dairy section)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4" slices
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4" slices
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 c. ricotta cheese (I used full milk)
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed (or use fresh, if you've got it - but you will need significantly more)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 egg white whisked with 1 tsp. water

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine zucchini, squash and olive oil in a large bowl.
Combine ricotta, Parmesan, dill weed and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
Roll pie dough into a 14" circle on a lightly floured surface.
Transfer pie crust to prepared baking sheet.
Spread ricotta mixture evenly over pie dough to within 2 inches of the edge.
Arrange zucchini and squash in circles over the ricotta, alternating slices for a pretty pattern.
Sprinkle feta cheese over the squash.
Fold dough over filling.
Brush dough with egg white mixture.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Comfy's note - the possibilities here are endless - sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions with strips of steak?





No comments:

join the conversation